Default boot device missing or boot failed
Hello, I have faced a problem recently that I got a error message like “default boot device missing or boot failed” and continuation story like insert recovery media or recovery file. I am using Lenovo G 500 so I thought this issue will come for only Lenovo users. I came to know that it is an regular issue which comes in all branded laptops not only for Lenovo users.
I studied many forums and watched so many videos which are available on Internet to solve this issue. Finally I found it and I solved it, now my lapy is perfect working without any issue and error while starting windows or restarting etc. so I would like to share what should be done to get out of this error easily instead of going for mechanics for repair and wasting of money.
The error will come for 2 reasons, one thing is missing hard disk and second one is boot settings were changed this. I am going to solved methods for 2 issues.
How to solve default boot device missing or boot failed
- Just restart your laptop when you see error like shown in screen shot
- Go to boot menu while its restarting (use F2 button to get boot menu). Boot menu buttons are different for different branded laptops. For Lenovo users you will get recovery button directly that will placed at beside power button.
- From the boot menu, go through bios setup
- There you can see hard disk option, see what it is showing like if you get hard disk is missing means its hard disk issue
Click here to know how to solve even hard disk is working
- Now you need to takeout hard disk and just clean the ports of linking pins
- And re insert the hard disk and restart the system
- Now your system will start automatically how earlier it worked